Ashcroft to Yale:
Paddle & Power Rafting
Adult Cost: $789
Youth Cost: $629 (16 years and younger)
All rates subject to GST 5% (Goods and Services Tax)
2017 Trip Dates: August 10-12 & 17-19
*More dates may be available on request
The ancient rock walls of Black Canyon tower above as we begin our 160 kilometre adventure. The dry desert and the clear blue waters of the Thompson River are the perfect companions on the first day of this expedition.
Choose either power or paddle, challenging the rapids in our paddle rafts or lounging in our larger power rafts. Either way you will enjoy the power of Devil’s Gorge, Cutting Board, the Cauldron, Jaws and more.
As we change rivers, the blue waters of the Thompson mix with the silt laden waters of the mighty Fraser. With rapids more powerful than the Colorado River we board larger power rafts called J rigs for the remainder of the trip.
We also move from dry sage covered hills and white limestone cliffs to lush conifer forests and moss covered granite banks carved by the force of this free flowing river.
Inspiring scenery, wildlife, cultural and historical sites and the power of Hell’s Gate are some of the highlights of the last day. We finish with the roller coaster action of Sailors Bar a chain of 20 foot waves we rerun several times
Meet: At our base in Yale at 8:00 AM returning at 4:30 PM on day three
Who can go?
Power rafts are controlled by the guide who steers with an outboard motor at the rear of the raft. People are required to hang on with both hands through the rapids. As the ride is not quite as rough as at the back of the raft as the front this trip is suitable for a wide range of people. Minimum age is 8 years accompanied by an adult
Paddle rafting requires people to participate and listen to commands from your guide; these trips can be a little more strenuous and demanding. Our minimum age for paddle rafting is between 12 and 15 years depending on the river, water levels and previous experience. Please enquire at the time of booking for suitability
All meals are made with fresh healthy ingredients, expertly prepared by your guides. Lunches are a riverside buffet where you can build your own dream sandwich, breakfasts and dinners are multi course and delicious.
We are happy to accommodate any food allergies, dietary restrictions and special events. Just give us some advance notice and we will plan accordingly.
What you need:
Weather conditions vary along our routes, so we suggest the following to make your trip more comfortable.
- Shorts, t shirt, try and avoid heavy cotton on the rafts
- Old running shoes or sport sandals (with a heel strap)
- Sunscreen (or sun block), brimmed hat
- Retainer or string for glasses or sunglasses (available for purchase)
- Sleeping bag, mat and tent (we have these for rent - see below)
- Extra clothes with a warm jacket
- Personal toiletries
- Return transportation from rendezvous point
- Life jackets and safety equipment
- On paddle trips: helmets, wetsuits &booties when necessary or requested
- Waterproof bags for your overnight gear
- All meals, eating utensils, plates and mugs
- Two-person tent $15.00 per day
- Sleeping bag $10.00 per day (Please reserve ahead of time)